Thursday 28 July 2011

North Pacific Gray Whale 12.31pm Gwithian Sands 27th April 2011
My mission is to make visible our "invisibly ill" ocean.

To most, like me, the ocean is a vast reflective surface where earth meets sky, but I have learnt that it is a place where nearly all life exists. I am fascinated by that other dimension- the deep blue, which our earthbound evolution distils us from. All the time I am by the ocean, I am imagining the life that happens in its body, out of sight from where I stand. I have been making scale sand drawings of the worlds largest endangered whales, on beaches around Cornwall to help visualize their epic size and fragility.

And as my awareness of their silent battle with oceanic pollution grows, it fuels my art practice and the need to make work in a public space, from the water's edge, reminding us of their presence and hinting at the threat we have caused to their survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment